Thursday, July 28, 2011

Children Make Faith So Simple

Children Make Faith So Simple

Today is Leann, one of newest daughters, 12th birthday! We are so excited to be celebrating her birthday with her. Today is also a sad in the Shoffner household; we are having a celebration service (funeral) for the life of Rick’s grandfather. We know that he is in Heaven with our Lord, but he is surly missed.

I want to share with you what took place at the visitation last night for his grandfather. As the visitors left the funeral home last night and the family was left to say the goodbye’s to Paw-Paw Shoffner I sat out in the Lobby with Leann and Rick’s cousin’s little girl, Katie. Leann leaned over and said, “Is it ever too late to be saved.” I replied, “What do you mean to be saved?” She responded, “By Jesus.” My heart pounded more rapidly with excitement and I could hardly speak for the lump in my throat. I mumbled the words, “Well, yes. After you’re dead, but you don’t want to wait until right before you die, because you may not know when that is or have the chance to get saved.” She looked intently for a few seconds and said, “Sometime this week, would you help me to prepare to become a Christian?” I then explained to her that you don’t have to prepare, you just ask him and then you start your journey with Christ. I continued to explain how neat it was that we don’t have to be perfect to come to Christ and that’s why Jesus died for us. Just then Katie chimed in on the conversation and said, “You’re not a Christian?” You have to understand, Katie has been raised in the church since before birth and doesn’t understand that someone hasn’t had that opportunity. I explained to sweet Katie that Leann didn’t have that opportunity to go to church like she did and she’s just now getting that chance. Katie looked stunned for a second and then said, “Oh, well good.” Leann started telling Katie a little about her past and how her biological dad didn’t believe in God and wouldn’t let them go to church. Katie started talking to Leann about having Jesus in her heart and that’s how you get to Heaven. She explained Jesus dying on the cross for us and we just can’t get to Heaven doing good deeds, we have to live like Jesus did. I just sat back and let Katie witness to Leann. Children make it so simple.

Leann didn’t get saved last night, but she understands more and she is closer than she was before.

2 comments:

Laura Zielke said...

Wow, Leann!!! That is so awesome. It just makes me feel--I don't know how to explain it--GRATEFUL. Grateful to God for sending His son to die on the cross for us. Grateful to you for taking Leann into your heart and home. Grateful for the opportunity that Katie and you had to explain the gospel to her. Grateful she was there next to you in the first place. I remember you were struggling with what to do, and I'm so glad you asked for prayer about it. Obviously, God directed your paths, and I'm just thrilled to see she is already excited to know more about Jesus. Hallelujah!!!

The Murrays said...

Amen. Thank you for sharing. It's those baby steps in faith that help us make the giant leaps in life with God!