Jesus turned and saw her. "Take heart, daughter," he said, "your faith has healed you." And the women was healed from that moment.
Matthew: 9:22
This brings me back to when my son, Preston at the age of 13, was struck with an illness. This illness slowly consumed his body. Over several days he became weak, feverish, pale and pasty looking, and was sleeping most of the day and night. We thought at first it was just a small virus that needed to run its course. We gave him over the counter medications and tried to nurse him back to health. Until one day something alarming happened. Preston became totally blank. No matter what I did, he continued to stare into space. I yelled at his siblings to grab his shoes and to get into the car, we were heading to the hospital.
As we entered into the hospital the staff took him directly back and began to work on him. A CT scan was order along with many other test. Within hours a doctor entered into the room. We braced ourselves for the worst. The doctor began to speak saying, "We can't find anything wrong with him. Just take him home and let him rest." My husband and I looked at each other and anger filled my heart. We wheeled Preston out to the van. My husband was trying to unlock the door as Preston stood waiting. Just then he slid down the side of the van with my husband quickly catching him before he clasp to the ground. We put him into the car and headed home to let him rest as the doctor had suggested.
The next day I contacted his pediatrician. I explained to the doctor what was going on. He had us bring him in immediately. The doctor ran several test on him and quickly came back with the results. He sat in front of us with great concern and spoke in a soft voice, "He has encephalitis." He quickly explained what it was and said if there were any changes physically or mentally to please call.
About a week later Preston began to take a turn for the worst. He would sleep approximately 22 hours a day. One day Preston had been sleeping on the couch when suddenly I heard barking noises coming from the den. In between random barking, I would hear little screams. I rushed into the den to see him slapping himself on the head. I tried speaking to him, but once again the blank stare had surfaced. I quickly called the doctor and explained what was going on. He replied, "I think it's best to take him to the hospital." And that we did.
Preston was seen by a neurologist who had followed his case over the next several days. The neurologist plainly told us that he could die and if he lived, his mental status would be that of a four year old. With the right medication he began to show signs of improvement. After being hospitalized for several days we had the okay to take him home, which would still be a challenge to care for him because he was still weak and frail.
During the past several weeks, we and many others, had prayed for a miracle. And that miracle came one night right before our eyes. Preston was sitting in a recliner and his older brother sat beside of him. Rick and I were sitting and watching TV. Rick said, "Turn off the TV." "What?" I spoke. "Just turn it off," he said. With the TV off we sat watching our oldest son talk to Preston. Quickly Preston sat up and began to talk in his "right mind" as if nothing had ever been wrong. We watched a miracle unfold right before our eyes. Chills rushed over my body. My husband and I looked in amaze at each other, we knew that we had just witnessed a miracle. God was present and just healed our son.
Shortly after the healing miracle of Preston, he played basketball on the school time, excelled in school, and returned back to acting like a 13 year old once again.
I can't say that during this time my faith had not shown through to strongly. I didn't doubt God and what he could do, but I wasn't sure how much God would heal him. We were able to except whatever Gods plan would be for Preston. God pulled through as he always does.

No comments:
Post a Comment