Friday, July 16, 2010

It's A Tough Life...

I treasure the time I have with my children. Well, there not exactly children in the eyes of the law now. (One still is. He would beg to differ at the age of 16.) Some days I wish I could roll back time to when they were little and you could kiss there boo boos away or slap a band-aid on there little knee's and send them on there way. But with growth comes bigger problems and band-aids and kissing boo-boos don't seem to help. The world seems to bear down harder and harder on their shoulders, which as a parent, I feel a two edge sword splitting my heart into a million pieces because of their struggles.

I'm extremely grateful that my children feel they can open up to me in there joy and in there sorrow. I can only pray that God gives me the correct words to say when there needs to be words said at all. And that he will shut my mouth when nothing needs to be spoken. Sometimes our children just need to be listened to, to be held, or just need someone to cry with them. I feel I have raised them in a Christian home and they now need to battle out between what's right and wrong for themselves. No, I don't always agree with the decisions they make, but it is there lives and they will have to stand accountable before God one day. It doesn't make me love them any less and they are still my children. Jesus will not turn his back on them and I as a parent it would be wrong to turn my back on them.

We as parents have to keep in mind that we weren't always in the place that we are today. We also had to go through struggles, temptations, and decision making to get us where we are today and to make us who we are. It's called character building. Why should we expect our children just to jump into maturity when it took years for us to get there?

No comments: