In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.
Proverbs 16:9
During the week I had the song on my mind, Order My Steps in Your Word. It just kept coming to mind repeatedly as I tussled with God’s calling. I knew precisely what God was calling me to do; now I had to inform my husband. As I presented it to him, you could clearly see God had put him completely on board and as he was very supportive. “Okay God”, I said, “I’m ready.” Now I was free from my job, my youngest child was close to finishing High School, and it seem that God was just lining things up in the proper order. I could tell it was truly in God’s plan. Let the journey begin!
Then the struggles settled in. The encounter had begun with the fears of the unfamiliar and disbelief that I couldn’t handle what God was calling me to do. In my heart, I knew I needed to obey and carry out what God was calling me to do but my brain was fabricating so much confusion it was ridiculous. It made me restless, my mind was cluttered, and my thinking was chaotic. I couldn’t focus on God’s will. I had put the focal point on my abilities and not on God’s abilities. In the song, Order My Steps, the words “while you are working help me to be still” had spoken so loudly to me as if God was shouting those very words himself. (Sometimes God needs to give some of us a little “shout out” so we can hear him.) When God is calling us to do his will our human nature of doubt and fear clutters our mind in conjunction with drowning out God’s voice. Blocking out God’s peace and clam assurance that’s he’s ordering our steps in his will. We just need to be still and listen. The fears and doubts will still resurface at times, but I’m remaining obedient to God’s calling. I know that I can’t do this alone and I have to depend on him. I just have to be still, listen, be obedient, let him work through me and let him order my steps. It’s his will, not mine.
After this song came into my mind repeatedly that week, I knew it was of God, because on that Sunday morning in church our choir sang it for the choir special. God was just reassuring me of his calling in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment